In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He enjoys his job and finds it a challenge but we are home birds at heart and enjoy spending all our time with each other and the children.
- People who don't have to travel for work purposes always assume it is great, but to be honest it gets very tiring being on aircraft and staying in hotels all the time, it's nice to be a home bird again.
- You will feel like being a home bird this week.
- When we were younger Fred liked the night life and I was a home bird and it was an on and off relationship.
- Changes have also occurred in her habits: she used to be very much a home bird, but in recent weeks has increasingly been seen dining at such upmarket Berlin restaurants as Chez Maurice and Carpaccio.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.