In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1puerto de matrícula masculino
- It is a source of pride to see the Celtic Explorer alongside the quay in her home port of Galway.
- Thousands were expected to flock to the shores of the Solent and Southampton Water to watch a moment in history as the two passenger liners berth in their home port together for the first time.
- Survey ship HMS Bulldog has completed her final deployment, and sailed into her home port of Devonport flying her decommissioning pennant after 33 years of service.
- HMS Sheffield has set sail from her home port of Plymouth and is steering a course for sunnier climes at the start of a six-month deployment to the Caribbean.
- Normally based at HMAS Waterhen in Sydney, it will still be several months before the 11 sailors reach their home port.
- Sailors in HMS Sutherland used their spare time during a global deployment to raise thousands of pounds for charities in the ship's home port of Plymouth.
- Several of the Navy's biggest warships, plus their escorts, are due back in their home ports this week at the end of a series of exercises in the United States.
- HMS Coventry took over in the Caribbean from HMS Sheffield at the end of July, and should be back in her home port of Devonport at the end of the year.
- She is due back in her home port of Portsmouth in March.
- Beer cans popped and cheers rang out as five whaling ships returned to their home ports after weeks away in the waters of the North Pacific.
- On Friday more than 80,000 people watched the replica enter the harbour in Whitby, the home port of Captain Cook's original Endeavour.
- The ship has completed three intensive work periods in South Georgia and on the Antarctic Peninsula since she sailed from her home port in October last year.
- The destroyer has now returned to her home port of Portsmouth, and is undergoing preparations for a docking and maintenance period which will last throughout the summer.
- A flotilla of more than 50 boats, yachts and lifeboats surrounded the magnificent ship as it sailed majestically into its home port.
- Both of the ships have Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii, as their home port, because that's where the Pacific fleet is based.
- HMS Bulldog left her home port of Plymouth in January for surveys in the Mediterranean, Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Arabia.
- HMS Cornwall put to sea for the first time in almost a year as her refit in her home port of Devonport came to a close.
- The ship and crew left its home port of Norfolk, Virginia, in January for an unscheduled deployment in support of the global war on terrorism.
- Patrol ship HMS Dumbarton Castle has made a rare visit to her home port.
- Hmas Anzac recently returned to its home port at Fleet Base West after spending four-and-a-half months away.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.