In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(return home)regreso masculinefeminine vuelta
- This is the homecoming, the return of the prodigal sons to the family fold.
- In Charles Wheeler's compelling Radio 4 series, Coming Home, survivors of different nationalities, offer accounts of the aftermath of war - not only the arduous homecomings of 1945, but its legacy today.
- For his lieutenants, his homecoming signals the revival of the right-wing movement in South Africa.
- But now she is making plans for the big homecoming which will see the family reunited for the first time.
- The stories of men's final release and of their homecomings can be heart-wrenching.
- Martin, who was treated to a super homecoming in his native village is wished continued success in his cycling career.
- Her homecoming is somewhat earlier than expected, hastened by the recent stormy weather in the North Atlantic.
- Terry will have a homecoming this week, returning to the track where he received his only formal race instruction.
- Julie and Jamie are preparing for the homecoming of Marcus's twin brother, Steven, who is now just over four weeks old.
- Barbara said coming back to York had been something of a homecoming and they were looking forward to welcoming some familiar faces.
- Both had made plans to return home for the winter, expecting their homecoming to be something joyous.
- She always kept close contact with her family abroad in USA and Britain and the homecomings were frequent for that family who loved the trip home to the old home with Maisie and Martin and the parents.
- We really want to do the best we can for our returning soldiers and make these homecomings as memorable for them as we can.
- Of those who came to pay tribute, many told how Jane had inspired them - all saying they wouldn't have missed her homecoming for the world.
- Anyone who has ever witnessed one of those homecomings at an airport and watched as strangers applauded this person in uniform knows how very deeply those feelings run.
- One of the biggest cheers was reserved for Tom when he joined the players in the pavilion for the homecoming on Thursday night.
- She received a huge homecoming on her return to Bradford and had lived and worked in the city ever since.
- Hear what Australia's most senior Catholic priest had to say upon his homecoming to Ballarat.
- Many of those who could not watch the game would love to give a proper homecoming to their heroes.
- But his excitement over the prospect of two homecomings in the space of a few days is tempered by the knowledge that he is in no position to play the returning hero.
2US(at school, college)fiesta estudiantil al comienzo del año académico con asistencia de ex-alumnos
- Also this week everyone gets to chose the homecoming Queen and her court.
- Espy still winces a little as he recalls a homecoming game at his daughter's high school.
- During homecoming, Henson sought to reassure a roomful of anxious alumni.
- So I guess she now resents the fact that when all her friends were busy attending homecomings and senior proms, she was in Los Angeles waitressing, and trying to feed her 1-year-old daughter.
- Today's students are tomorrow's alumni and we're attempting to appeal to both groups to make this one of the best homecomings ever.
- I've been hinting at Mikey about taking me to the homecoming, but I've gotten nowhere.
- At the homecoming game the next day, Marco had heard I was going with Pete to the dance.
- It was going to be one big weekend festival, ending at the homecoming dance on Saturday.
- Deciding to give the boys a homecoming party, they brought food and drink to the Union Pacific depot.
- Ask him about the crown he had to wear when he was homecoming king of his high school.
- He dated the girl who was picked as homecoming queen his junior year in high school.
- That small bit of pressure on the ankle translates to a lot of pressure on Hill's homecoming exhibition game.
- We enter into the tiny town and it is like a huge homecoming parade!
- After the homecoming dance I'd learned dresses and heels were a bad choice for dancers.
- Plan for good cheer and great food that will make this a homecoming to remember for years to come.
- He strangely felt like a nervous school boy picking up his homecoming date.
- He saw pictures of her growing up: her graduation, homecomings, prom, and birthdays.
- Let's go shopping after school, homecoming is only a week and a half away.
- All homecoming candidates got to skip fifth period to go to the locker rooms and get ready.
- Needing one more dress for the event, she modified her high school homecoming dress to compete.
Un acontecimiento que se celebra cada año en los establecimientos de enseñanza superior en EEUU. Por lo general tiene lugar en el otoño cuando los antiguos alumnos regresan para participar en toda clase de actividades, entre las que se incluyen un homecoming game de fútbol, un homecoming parade y el homecoming dance. También se elige a la homecoming queen
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.