In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There, last Tuesday, occurred a scene all but lost amid the horrific pictures of last week.
- It would also ask them to think about the horrific manner in which he died.
- The siege had come to a brutal and ugly end, but the full horrific scale of the crisis had not yet revealed itself.
- Today horrific memories of the greyest of days in January are hard to erase.
- It's horrific and frightening and makes you question yourself and what you might be capable of.
- A man has died and another is in a serious condition after a horrific road collision with a petrol tanker.
- Often, when grafts heal, they thicken and leave the patients with horrific scarring.
- He says that is the way it has to be, because the reality is too horrific to squeeze into a prime time television slot.
- A man suffered a horrific eye injury after he and his girlfriend were attacked by a gang of thugs as they left a pub.
- A man suffered horrific crush injuries to his hand after he became trapped in a printing press.
- The horrific accident happened when the two sides of a grave he was digging caved in on him.
- She said the horrific attack had left many residents scared for their safety.
- Her injuries were so horrific that the vet had no choice but to put her to sleep.
- To lose a child that way or to have to identify their body would be just horrific.
- All who drowned were illegal immigrants who endured the most horrific working conditions.
- Some time later I received a magazine containing the horrific pictures of Belsen.
- There's no doubt that some people suffered almost unimaginably horrific deaths.
- A notorious accident spot that has been the scene of horrific road crashes is the focus of a new safety plan.
- Many of them show attacks on children and are too horrific for a newspaper.
- In the letter he told of Barbara's battle to recover from her horrific ordeal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.