In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Blame, expostulations, recriminations and horseplay - David provides an up-close-and-personal document of the family's most wrenchingly private moments.
- There are exceptions to this rule, and even violence intentionally inflicted will not be a criminal offence if it occurs in the course of a lawful activity, such as contact sports, surgical operations, rough horseplay or tattooing.
- When he stands up and defends himself, well, that's when it turns from just some maybe horseplay to the flicking of the arm to the violent confrontation.
- Fourthly, why is rough and undisciplined horseplay, where serious injuries may be sustained by victims whose consent must be seriously in doubt, included in the list of exceptions?
- Why is horseplay limited to boys in our culture?
- Children especially need the room to run and play without having to worry about annoying other guests with screams, horseplay and of course, the occasional temper tantrum.
- The scenes of fighting and horseplay among the Montagues and Capulets compelled the story forward, with swords clashing in time to the music.
- We spent hours at this horseplay in the snow that winter.
- Of course, these insights were only revealed in between the necessary mad, frenetic spurts of brotherly horseplay.
- Practical jokes and horseplay frequently resulted in angry altercations between men on the factory floor.
- His equally fatigued colleague Park Hong-Seok, however, opted for some horseplay with his three children.
- ‘The actions are not simple fun and horseplay and can only lead to suffering and perhaps the death of someone in your own community,’ he said.
- The defendants, who had pleaded guilty to racially aggravated harassment at earlier hearings, have maintained that they were not racially motivated and believed the actions to be horseplay.
- Any horseplay and you'll be back in second-period study hall so fast your head will spin.
- Mr Hedley, of Carr Meadow, says he hopes the incident is not treated as merely high jinks or horseplay.
- Teachers ‘thought it was horseplay,’ and the boy never told his parents he was being bullied.
- Indeed, they are also taking on the role of the uncle or auntie, ticking off youngsters who are indulging in a spot of horseplay in the street.
- There are excuses: which one of us would happily challenge a group of teenagers - and who is to judge what is horseplay and what is more sinister?
- First Mainline, which runs 670 buses in the district, said that young people had not heeded warnings about horseplay following the death of a 13-year-old boy earlier this year.
- Well, Lou, there are about 1,000 images altogether, but we're told that many of them are innocuous, pictures of innocent horseplay and just snapshots.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.