In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(inquiries/search) puerta a puerta
- Police were conducting house-to-house inquiries yesterday and bullets recovered from the scene were due to undergo forensic examination.
- Officers are carrying out house-to-house inquiries in the area and members of a specialist underwater team have conducted a search of the canal near to Belton Road Bridge.
- Last night, a police spokesman said a motive had not been established and house-to-house inquiries and a forensic examination were continuing.
- A fingertip search of the area - the scene of a targeted shooting in June - and house-to-house inquiries were carried out by police officers.
- A team of detectives is working on the inquiry, backed up by operational support officers who are making house-to-house inquiries in the area.
- But it seems the house-to-house inquiries and the trawl through CCTV footage is already reaping results.
- The operation had included house-to-house inquiries.
- Police said there were many cameras in the area, and officers had been searching through CCTV footage, as well as carrying out house-to-house inquiries.
- Police conducted house-to-house inquiries over the weekend in streets near Moses Gate Country Park, Farnworth, where the attack happened.
- Police officers have conducted house-to-house inquiries along the length of Main Street which becomes Fulford Road at the junction of Broadway.
- Over the weekend police conducted house-to-house inquiries, re-contacted Mrs Begum's friends and family and studied CCTV.
- Police carrying out house-to-house inquiries last week seized a number of items, including a replica gun, from the Abbeydale Road and Manor areas of the city.
- Police have conducted a house-to-house inquiry, and are asking anyone who may have seen the girls walking along the street with the attacker to come forward.
- Scenes-of-crimes officers yesterday carried out an examination of the area as detectives carried out house-to-house inquiries.
- A team of officers have searched the surrounding area for any clues and have carried out house-to-house inquiries without making a breakthrough.
- Where were the tanks parked while crews dismounted and performed house-to-house searches?
- Two forensic officers dressed in boiler suits carried out a fingertip search and other officers were due to carry out house-to-house inquiries today.
- Officers were last night conducting house-to-house inquiries.
- His assailant, who escaped without any cash, was still on the loose this afternoon, and police were in the area making house-to-house inquiries.
- Detectives yesterday made house-to-house inquiries, trying to find more information and trace people who were outside the bar when the incident took place.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.