- The oldest recorded Old World sparrow was a house sparrow that lived to be 13 years and 4 months in the wild.
- That's counting the birds like starlings, rock doves and house sparrows, introduced species most birders don't even count!
- The usual birds of winter were out there - chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, doves, starlings, mockingbirds, house sparrows, white-throats, mallards, and black ducks - but nothing remarkable.
- The house sparrow was introduced to multiple locations in North America from Europe in the 1850s.
- At this site, house sparrows often nest close to available food sources.