In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I personally think the practice is insulting and humiliating, especially in a business setting.
- He wants to break our will so that we will accept his humiliating conditions.
- But for me it is humiliating to surrender to this pessimism.
- It would have been humiliating to say that to an educated individual.
- I knew I blacked out a lot and I did humiliating things.
- My wife had to wash me like a child, which felt degrading and humiliating.
- The Opium War, also called the Anglo-Chinese War, was the most humiliating defeat China ever suffered.
- Soon they were joined by many soldiers who judged the agreement humiliating.
- And when the only fate awaiting them is torture, death becomes the other less humiliating option.
- That first Chechen war ended in humiliating defeat for the Russian forces in 1996.
- He was trapped, there was no way the commitments could be reduced without humiliating admissions of defeat.
- It was a swift response to a disappointing, perhaps humiliating, day for the brothers.
- Sexual harassment is quite common in schools and can be humiliating and frightening.
- Later she overheard her supervisor bragging about this humiliating order to others.
- Nye described her experience that day as humiliating.
- The grocery shopping was the most humiliating part of the trip.
- He could only wait for the humiliating laughter to die away.
- After a humiliating job interview and a nearly lethal trip to the welfare office, Dude goes to see his Uncle Dave.
- Time for a huge pot of coffee, loads of toast; time for another humiliating picture from my radio days.
- All this is represented by his humiliating situation of wearing a dress.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.