In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1huelga de hambre femeninoto be/go on (a) hunger strike — estar haciendo/hacer huelga de hambre
- A pensioner who vowed to starve himself to death in a protest against his treatment in prison has called off his hunger strike.
- While in prison again, he went on a hunger strike, surviving on water for 36 days.
- In Turkish prisons eight people are on hunger strike in protest at prison isolation.
- This would not be the case in a hunger strike where the doctor has access to all the information, and the purpose of the strike.
- In prison she went on hunger strikes, a tactic favoured by many of the suffragettes, as a hunger strike meant release from jail.
- The hunger strike empowered a new generation, initially on the streets and then into the ballot box.
- He was not allowed to pray, until a hunger strike by inmates led to a relaxation of the rules.
- On May 6, two workers began a hunger strike and were followed by six more two days later.
- She's adamant that she'll begin an indefinite hunger strike once she reaches jail.
- He was arrested in August, began a hunger strike, and was taken to Brixton Prison.
- When the meeting promised for Monday morning did not materialise, the detainees began a hunger strike.
- Twice since the hunger strike began, the men have needed urgent medical attention.
- Some tried to claw their way over the barbed wire fences, and 20 detainees staged a hunger strike.
- It did not say when she began the hunger strike or how her health condition is.
- Recently refugees from Afghanistan staged a hunger strike in protest against their treatment.
- On Monday 4 July, a number of journalists started a hunger strike to protest the article.
- The hunger strike began on August 29 in the death row section of the prison.
- The father had been on a hunger strike and was handcuffed and forcibly removed to another centre.
- Her friends say she began a hunger strike 10 days ago after the Home Office told her she would have to return to Iran.
- In the meantime, he is on a hunger strike in a Canadian jail to protest the US legal system.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.