In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Combine the pleasures of both with holiday red amaryllis and pristine white tulips and fragrant hyacinths.
- Plant out bowls of hyacinths and daffodils that have finished flowering in the house, before they dry out.
- Later blooming hyacinths and tulips can be planted anytime before the ground freezes.
- While daffodils and hyacinths have their fans, tulips are, by far, the most popular flower.
- Spring brings more than half a million blooming bulbs, including daffodils, hyacinths, and tulips.
- It was a work of art, four feet in diameter comprised of orchids, lilies of the valley, hyacinths, arum lilies and white carnations.
- It is the season to plant flowering bulbs such as tulips, narcissi, crocuses and hyacinths.
- The specially treated multiflora hyacinths are also beautiful when naturalized and can provide long-lasting color.
- Spring-flowering bulbs such as tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, daffodils, and irises are universal symbols of spring.
- Other fun bulbs for easy forcing include colorful hyacinths, crocuses and narcissi.
- For example, early-flowering hyacinths offer a heady and fragrant choice for planting in containers along walkways and at entrances.
- Daffodils, hyacinths, crocus and other popular spring bulb flowers are also widely available now.
- Fall is the season to plant trees, turf grasses and spring-blooming flower bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and crocuses.
- Fall is the time to plant the tulips, daffodils and hyacinths that bloom in the spring.
- Crocuses, daffodils, other narcissi, tulips, and hyacinths are just where the choices begin.
- Remember that some bulbs such as tulips and hyacinths do not always come back strongly in subsequent years.
- You can start entirely new plants from pieces of daylilies, tulips, hyacinths, and other beauties for next to nothing.
- Indoor gardeners, by and large, prefer their hyacinths full-blossomed and deliciously fragrant.
- The miracle of spring flowers such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and lilies is even more astounding when one realizes how they reach the bloom stage each year.
- In Europe, winter holiday parties are resplendent with fragrant hyacinths.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.