In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That opened a period of intense growth in scientific knowledge in the area of steamship mechanics, shipbuilding, hydrography and shipboard artillery.
- He said: ‘I am very conscious of the excellent leadership of the nation's hydrography by my predecessors.’
- He was the founder of modern oceanography and hydrography.
- His work was both of a military and of a scientific nature, often combining these two aspects in his work on hydrography and cartography.
- Samples were grouped in several distinct clusters that were generally consistent with the hydrography of the area.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.