In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Here again, this rhetoric is inflated, hyperbolic and unjustified.
- Is it excessively hyperbolic to call them worthless scum?
- Amazingly enough, the tone of the article is a throwback to the hyperbolic language of the boom.
- They should answer hyperbolic attacks with exaggerated speech of their own, if that's what it takes to stave off political annihilation.
- In an extravagant, hyperbolic and amusing oration, he asked the question: ‘Why write?’
- I mean, in the media, all the time, the thing that we're most interested in is the most sensational, the most hyperbolic.
- A hyperbolic citation reiterates a normative notion in an exaggerated way in order to simultaneously work against it.
- Avoid hyperbolic language and narration that pump air into stories that have no real substance.
- Orlando communicates with Shel in a secret language of hyperbolic expressive power.
- Part of what makes his doubts hyperbolic is that their extravagance renders them unlikely to dislodge our existing beliefs.
- For example, Sir William's hyperbolic language lends itself to hyperbolic gestures that contribute to the comic business of his scenes.
- I know that I have exaggerated or made hyperbolic the abuse in my family when talking about it tangentially, either out of black humor or bitterness.
- A frustrated thespian, he enjoyed delivering long-winded, hyperbolic, and melodramatic speeches that rolled off his tongue in a rich bass voice.
- Kurosawa's, by contrast, exaggerate the theme, casting it in the hyperbolic terms of a dread-inducing and sometimes even apocalyptic horror.
- Although this language sounds hyperbolic, it was by no means atypical of audience responses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.