In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The central structure of the brain contains the thalamus, hypothalamus, and pituitary gland.
- Normally the hypothalamus coordinates the activity of the pituitary gland through the secretion of peptides and amines.
- These regions are centred in the cerebellum, hippocampus, hypothalamus and basal ganglia.
- The brain also links with endocrine gland chemical messengers through the hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
- One theory is that light stimulates a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, which controls mood, appetite, and sleep.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.