In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I realise that what I'm saying is incendiary, but that is no reason to hide the truth.
- This event is for a very worthy cause and I'm sure it will turn out to be a very big success.
- We thought we had a chance because I'm decent in the air and Mark is really quick.
- I've still got pain in my neck all the time, and I'm managing to walk a little with a stick.
- We don't know how much this flood cost us but I'm sure it was a substantial amount.
- Safety should always come before cost and I'm glad the police are doing these checks.
- We have showed we have the quality in the past and I'm sure we will get it right.
- The hard thing, as I'm finding out, is getting the people in there in the first place.
- If I've had a stressful day, when I go out for a run I'm able to mull it over in my mind.
- The crowd are going to be hostile towards me, and that's going to let me know that I'm there to do a job.
- To be honest, I'm not the type of person who would stew on that for several months.
- I guess I'm lucky they came at all, as it was the second time we'd attempted to watch it.
- It's on days like this that I'm glad we chose a boiler with more than adequate heat output.
- They are definitely more than a joke band and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.
- This is the result of the hard work of a lot of people and I'm glad to see it being rewarded and appreciated.
- He is a great striker of the ball and I'm always telling him to get himself into those positions.
- Does it then follow that if I play my cassette recorder out in the garden I'm a musician?
- It's because the imprint of his mind was so profound that I'm used to his mind being there.
- Call me perverse if you like but I'm fed up with the good guys always being the main characters.
- So if you think I'm not determined to change our country for the better, think again.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.