In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Orkney's largest fishing vessel and one of the biggest in the UK fleet, Orcades Viking III, has been sold to an Icelandic company.
- Pretty soon, my Icelandic driver was a bit lost.
- In November a consortium of Icelandic businessmen paid £5.5million for a 66 per cent stake in the club.
- ‘I've been paired with two Icelandic lads and I'm glad about that,’ said Hurst.
- That's when Icelandic rap shares the bill with boozy jug music from the '70s.
- New Icelandic blogger Great Auk has a pretty inspiring report of what Friedmanite economics have done for Iceland in recent years.
- The most spectacular anti-lava effort in history occurred on the Icelandic island of Heimaey in 1973.
- The Karluk polar expedition in 1913 was sponsored by the Canadian government and led by an Icelandic explorer called Stefansson.
- Miller, Burchill and Icelandic teenager Thorarinsson are all, for now, short-term solutions, contracted until the end of the season.
- The owners of a Stansted-based low-cost airline have made a ‘sterling’ move in their conquest of Icelandic air travel.
- Ragged trousers and a fuzzy Icelandic sweater are his work clothes.
- It will be difficult enough being Berti Vogts in Reykjavik next Saturday without his Icelandic counterpart making it harder.
- Yes, Chig really did say it to the Icelandic beauty.
- Instead it was Asian-European fusion-fare as good as anything I've eaten in London, such a tuna tataki and Icelandic lamb steaks.
- Four Icelandic artists create work exploring aspects of melancholia through animation, drawing, painting, sculpture and video.
- The Icelandic language resembles Russian just enough to emit a similar impression.
- On Friday, Scotland under-21s not only beat their Icelandic counterparts but secured the services of a talented prospect.
- York City's part-time goalkeeping coach, Neville Southall, wants to be boss of Icelandic side Fram Reykjavik according to reports.
- Since then, all Icelandic fisheries have switched to ITQs.
- Since then Icelandic group Baugur has snapped up Big Food Group, the owner of the ironically-named Iceland supermarket chain.
- It's performed in English with some Icelandic, and a trapeze and diving boards.
- Did I ever mention that I spent years in my early teens struggling with learning Icelandic and Norwegian?
- In our version, the Danes will be speaking English, and Grendel will be speaking Icelandic.
- We thought the songs were good as they were, and, you know, our other titles were in Icelandic, so people didn't understand anything anyway!
- While all the people speak Icelandic, most also speak Danish and English.
- Her wavy hair fell over her shoulders, and he could hear her softly speaking to them in Icelandic.
- This also uses the IPA to explain the sound system of Icelandic.
- The majority of the funeral was held in Icelandic, but a few hymns, such as Amazing Grace, were performed in English.
- The national language is Icelandic, a northern Germanic language with some resemblance to Middle English.
- For the first time the book is available in English, translated from the Icelandic by Magnus Magnusson.
- They go at the drinking and lust in an elegantly unselfconscious manner and there is no Icelandic word for ‘excuse me’.
- It's a place that might have more bloggers per capita than Ireland - Icelandic is a popular blogging language.
- Faroese is similar to Icelandic and stems from Old Norse.
- Such a requirement has also presented technical difficulties for the analysis of V2 languages like Icelandic.
- His accent is Scottish and even his Icelandic has a Scottish accent.
- Although little has been written in other languages about food in Iceland, there is an interesting literature in Icelandic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.