In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1iconoclastia femeninoiconoclasia femenino
- On iconoclasm there's the Catholic view here, the Orthodox, and a shorter but more balanced outline here.
- The staff stands for Aaron and his power without mimetically representing him, as the painting seems paradoxically to observe the Hebraic ethos of iconoclasm that the Jewish leader first violated.
- Though there was iconoclasm at the beginning, as zealots decapitated statues and the like in temples and shrines, this soon passed as sultans cracked down on it.
- Islamic iconoclasm is rooted in Jewish iconoclasm, historically.
- For all its fascination, Jacoby's discussion of Jewish iconoclasm could do with a touch more theology.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.