In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Next to the lute is an open hymn book, identifiable as the work of the great religious reformer Martin Luther.
- The campaign aims to trap thieves by making the phones instantly identifiable if they are stolen and later recovered.
- Supporters of ID cards will say there is nothing wrong in helping the police by being so readily identifiable.
- Does this question not promote or seed hatred against an identifiable group?
- Most interviewees made little distinction between identifiable and anonymised data.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.