In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1coloquial(foolish person)idiota femenino coloquialimbécil masculino coloquial(grin/laugh) (before noun) de idiotayou stupid idiot, look what you've done! — ¡idiota / imbécil! ¡mira lo que has hecho!
- my idiot brother — el idiota de mi hermano
- He and Paul were running around like idiots, acting more stupid than normal with the promise of summer so soon.
- If he's such an idiot, how stupid are your guys to be losing to him this repeatedly?
- Did we have idiots regulating morons or mice monitoring vipers?
- It is not a laughing matter, and it is certainly not caused by working with someone - as these stupid little idiots implied.
- First of all, that's a stupid name, those children are idiots.
- The idiot students who got the broadcast internships are the same idiots who now have the broadcast jobs.
- According to reports, at least half of the one hundred sheer blinding idiots stupid enough to mount the fencing and jump needed treatment from paramedics.
- I felt like such an idiot that morning, like a stupid dog that would follow him around wherever he went.
- But unfortunately people did turn up, the stupid idiots, so I had to do my show.
- The potential for chaos and lawsuits and cranky alumni is there but these aren't idiots you have hired and people aren't as stupid online as you fear.
- There is nothing to be proud of or there is nothing clever about what these stupid idiots are doing.
- Which, all in all, does tend to make me look very much like an incomparable idiot.
- They think of me as an idiot, a fool, some disheveled thing rather than one of them.
- Instead, it's filled with a menagerie of idiots doing stupid things.
- It appears that we consumers would cease to be stupid, trusting idiots if the finance industry stopped being so obfuscating when persuading us to spend our money with them.
- Stupid idiots that know they are going to die but don't care anyway.
- And he is not coming into court acting like an idiot and being stupid on the stand.
- Yet, you are too stupid and self-absorbed to realize just how much of an idiot you are.
- Granted, they are still smarter than us but its one thing to be an idiot and quite another to choose to marry an idiot.
- So not only was it frustrating enough having stupid idiots bashing into us, we got caught on the edge of a fight that broke out involving about 15 guys.
2malsonante despectivo, anticuadoMedicinaidiota masculino anticuado malsonante despectivo
- In 1324 idiots and lunatics had different rights in law, but now these words have lost their more precise meanings and become little more than insults.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.