In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ignorante femeninoinculto masculinoinculta femeninoanalfabeto masculino coloquialanalfabeta femenino coloquial
- After all, Americans are self-centered ignoramuses who ‘love to talk about things they know nothing about,’ as Rick Mercer proclaims.
- Sometimes I am such an ignoramus, such a witless dope.
- There really is a need for those of us who do know the right things to think to take pity on the ignoramuses who don't and really correct them when they are wrong.
- I'm not exactly a yoga ignoramus - I used to do some out of a book and off vids when I wasn't pregnant some years ago, so I know a lot of the terms but I still felt very out of place.
- The fact that it is too technical for the ignoramuses who run the proportional representation society is hardly a relevant argument.
- ‘I went from an antiques ignoramus into a devotee of ancient ceramic ware,’ Cai said.
- In fact they are little ignoramuses who leave high school believing that their country has made nothing but mistakes, and they never do learn what revisionist history is a revision of.
- So in my view abusing them as ‘rednecks’ is grossly offensive, prejudiced and ignorant and those who use such terms just show what ignoramuses they themselves are.
- No good teacher approaches his or her students as being ignoramuses just because they don't share the same level of knowledge.
- Only fools or ignoramuses ever trust the word of government officials or politicians.
- From this it is but a short step to viewing those who oppose liberal ideas or policies as hidebound traditionalists, bigots, or ignoramuses.
- He is a cretin's cretin, a halfwit, an ignoramus in every respect.
- It is a great thing for intellectuals to discuss politics, but we don't want ignoramuses to discuss politics.
- And the masses - stupid ignoramuses that we are - fell for it.
- Isn't it a shame that we have these key people doing important things who are either incompetent ignoramuses or dumb as posts?
- His career brought him in contact with the first men of his time; he preferred the company of rustic ignoramuses.
- What other reason can there possibly be for the number of surly, bad-mannered ignoramuses I stumble across when I'm looking to use, order or buy anything?
- Um, that a work of literature is not to be crushed and censored by ignoramuses whose ability to think has not yet passed the horizon of Pavlovian responses to ritually impure words?
- And I'm not making movies for those ignoramuses.
- They are ignoramuses of the highest order and deserve the treatment that will, sooner or later, come to them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.