In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The bilal calls the faithful to prayer, and the imam leads them in prayer.
- Cell phones also ring at other mosques while imams give their Friday sermon and lead the five daily prayers.
- His father, the imam of a neighborhood mosque that was destroyed in tribal conflict, was killed in prison.
- Among those who attended were several imams of mosques and teachers at Muslim madrasas.
- There are a number of traditional religious practitioners as well as Muslim imams, Catholic priests, and Protestant ministers.
- Muezzins invoke a call to prayer, reminding everyone it is either time to pray or to call them to the mosque, and imams lead the prayers.
- He was the son of the imam at the Mapiliyia Mosque and provincial Islamic cleric.
- On Fridays Muslims attend a service at a mosque in which an imam leads the prayer and usually gives a sermon.
- A shortage of qualified imams means British mosques look abroad for clerics, often to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.
- The men sat outside the house with the imam, who led the wedding prayers.
- While there is a prayer leader, or imam, in the mosque, they are not a priest, simply a person who knows a great deal about Islam.
- In it the man or father functions as the imam in accordance with the patriarchal nature of Islam.
- The imams from 12 mosques are meeting this week to discuss calling for a vote for Respect.
- While I was offering a supererogatory prayer, the imam entered the obligatory prayer.
- The imam is a prayer leader, the muezzin the caller to prayers in each community.
- So, at most madrasa graduates can aspire to become teachers in madrasas, imams in mosques or else open another madrasa of their own.
- Thousands gathered to welcome the imam of the grand mosque in Makkah on his visit to Lancashire.
- It would be mad for people just to run off to the local mosque and expect the imam to greet you with open arms.
- This is the view of most of the imams preaching in the mosques in the West.
- He was walking with an imam who feared his mosque was under threat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.