In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de agua) calentador eléctrico masculinotermo masculino Chiletermofón masculino Río de la Plata
- Keep water flowing in colder climates by adding an immersion heater to an existing birdbath.
- Heating is by means of an oil-fired central heating system which is augmented by a separate immersion heater for the hot water supply.
- She has hot water because that is heated through an immersion heater.
- I have an immersion heater so we'll have hot water, but the radiators are stone cold and it's chilly this evening.
- It is believed the cause of the fire was an electrical fault in the wiring of an electric immersion heater.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.