In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(hearing/sight/memory) afectar(memory/hearing/sight) dañar(health) afectar(health) perjudicar(efficiency) afectar(efficiency) reducir(beauty/happiness) empañarimpaired vision/hearing — problemas de vista/audición
- Dehydration can impair the function of vital organs like the kidneys, brain, and heart.
- There has long been speculation that excessive accumulation of starch may impair chloroplast function.
- Chronic inflammation can result in irreversible scarring of lung tissue, which impairs lung function.
- High levels of the stress hormone cortisol appears to impair memory.
- Driving in an intoxicated state makes a person prone to accidents as alcohol impairs judgement and slows reflexes.
- Taking too much daily zinc could also be a problem because, although it is not toxic, high doses can impair copper absorption.
- Streaking and smearing impair vision and are caused by worn windshield wiper blades.
- The specific kinds of defect that I have traced to addiction are best understood as impairing our powers of reflective self-control, without depriving us of those powers altogether.
- Miners object to these devices because they are heavy to wear, block vision on the sides, get covered with dirt and grease, and scratch easily, drastically impairing vision.
- Free radicals are thought responsible for making cholesterol harmful to arteries and the heart and for impairing memory and movement with age.
- His hair was plastered to his head and falling over his eyes, impairing his vision further.
- Certain chemotherapy drugs can damage the pancreas and impair its ability to make insulin.
- Scientists know from animal studies that damage to the amygdala impairs social functioning.
- A British study found that chronic jet lag causes the brain to shrink, impairing memory.
- Retinal blood vessels can break down, leak, or become blocked, affecting and impairing vision over time.
- It's your choice if you want to apply enough purple mascara to impair your vision.
- Cataracts are cloudy spots on the lenses of the eyes that impair vision.
- It is true that tests on laboratory animals at very high doses suggest that these chemicals disrupt the nervous and immune systems, as well as impairing development and possibly affecting fertility.
- Beaming the laser on small areas of your skin basically destroys the hair follicle and impairs its growth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.