In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This discovery inaugurated the golden age of trade between Europe and Asia.
- Bulgaria supported the losing side again in World War II, and the arrival of the Red Army in August 1944 inaugurated a period of Communist Party rule.
- Keynes' General Theory of 1936 did not inaugurate a new age of economic policies; rather it marked the end of a period.
- Far from it being a preventative war, and that's the way they sold it, it inaugurated a century of the most unspeakable violence in human history.
- When the Berlin wall fell in November 1989, a new era of democracy was inaugurated…
- Peter the Great's notorious visit to London in 1698 inaugurated the new century in a diplomatic, economic and cultural manner.
- I suspect I've already inaugurated this new era with my previous post.
- That seemingly casual remark inaugurated a six-week period during which I played the most consistently good golf I've ever played.
- Such operations inaugurated what would become a widespread, flourishing black market that survived the entire Soviet period.
- In one promising sign, the government last week announced that it will inaugurate a new trade policy in May that will lower tariffs for a wide range of products over the next five years.
- The end of the cold war inaugurated a new period, where non-Westerners were no longer the helpless recipients of Western power, but now counted amongst the movers of history.
- The African American Civil Rights movement inspired and inaugurated a new era of ethnic pride and political consciousness.
- Flavius Julius Constantius was appointed as Maximian's junior to help inaugurate the new system of government in the West.
- This inaugurated a period of monetary stability which characterized the 1980s and 1990s, interrupted only by an economic downturn in the late 1980s.
- The end of the War of 1812 with Britain inaugurated decades of peaceful economic growth, with new roads and canals opening the eastern seaboard to easier and speedier travel.
- Simultaneously, President Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugurated U.S. rearmament, with emphasis on aircraft.
- Invariably, however, technology reaches a point of diminishing returns, inaugurating a period of stagnation and crisis.
- In the fifteenth century, the Portuguese inaugurated the Age of Discovery and for three centuries built and expanded a seaborne empire.
- The classic period of the first cold war runs from 1947 through the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, which finally inaugurated an era of detente.
- It was the 747 that inaugurated the age of mass air travel.
- They inaugurated the festival in 1993 and continued to hold it every two years.
- The centre would be formally inaugurated on June 19 in the presence of the guests.
- A wise mayor inaugurated an annual international food festival where each nationality could show off its dishes.
- The building is likely to be inaugurated on June 30.
- The Mayor, J. Chandra, herself was there to inaugurate the camp.
- An actor inaugurated the event by releasing a poster to mark the occasion.
- ‘Although we may inaugurate the project on June 22, we are still uncertain about the amount of money that will be disbursed by the central government this year,’ he said.
- She was in Kochi on Monday to inaugurate an exhibition of diamonds.
- Flag officers from Maxwell and Pensacola and an official from Eastern were among the dignitaries at the ceremony inaugurating Dannelly Airport on July 1, 1943.
- Mitsubishi Motors Club was inaugurated in May 1990 and now has a membership of 2,300.
- He also inaugurated a multipurpose hall, cafeteria, teaching block and library building.
- Still, this was one exhibition that drew dozens of people even before it was formally inaugurated.
- The firm also recently inaugurated a technology and development center at its plant in Anaheim, CA.
- The monastery was formally inaugurated by His Holiness on March 31, 1985.
- The show, which was inaugurated on Wednesday, will go on till Sunday.
- To be inaugurated on Friday, the exhibition will remain open for a week.
- Corporate Affairs vice-president of Sundaram Finance Limited, R. Anand, inaugurated the event and released a souvenir on the occasion.
- The place is going to be formally inaugurated on October 18 at 5.30 p.m. at its premises, 39, Netaji Road, Fraser Town.
- The new facility, located in Gaithersburg, Montgomery County, Maryland, was to be formally inaugurated yesterday.
3formal(president/official) investirto be inaugurated president — ser investido como presidente
- The Russian president was officially inaugurated into office on Sunday.
- Following the presidential election results, on January 2002, he was inaugurated President of the Republic of Zambia.
- Some 40 world leaders will gather Tuesday to see the president inaugurated for a second term.
- After he was inaugurated as president, Mr. Roh still showed sensitive reactions to the critical reports or commentaries of conservative papers.
- I could not believe it when I was told that the president had not been inaugurated into office.
- He was formally inaugurated on June 23 in Beijing, replacing the former chief executive Tung-Chee Hwa, who resigned in March.
- Chosen as president by the Confederate provisional government established at Montgomery, Alabama, Davis was inaugurated in February 1861.
- When I was inaugurated at president of the Republic of Namibia, among the points that I said I was going to fight against was corruption.
- He was officially inaugurated as Lancashire county chairman at the NFU's county luncheon which took place at the Crofters Hotel in Garstang last Tuesday.
- My question to you is, what specific thing are you going to be doing first, after you are inaugurated as President?
- The Congress elected him as president and he was inaugurated on August 6, 1997.
- He was inaugurated on April 27, 1999 for a 5-year term.
- Lynne met the little boy at his home in Malton a couple of hours before she was formally inaugurated as the charity's new president last Thursday.
- So by the time I was actually inaugurated, I had a list of about 10 major items that I wanted to accomplish in foreign policy.
- He was inaugurated as vice president on 4 March 1901.
- The newly inaugurated American president is known to be a strong supporter of the project.
- Reagan wanted some briefings in Washington before he was inaugurated.
- It wasn't until '95, when he was inaugurated as Texas governor, that he held an elective office.
- The new head of state was officially inaugurated at a ceremony in front of Alexander Nevski Cathedral on Tuesday.
- Growing public opposition to the program led newly inaugurated president Richard Nixon to suspend deployment until further studies were completed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.