In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Streets that seem like collages brought to life, full of strange incongruities that could only seem natural in the sedatory stillness of the suburb.
- The whole idea of a ‘soap opera’ suggests an overt incongruity between the daily mundaneness of the narrative and the lofty form it takes.
- The sheer oddness of the way the place functioned, the incongruity between functioning and pretension.
- Guyana is a place of strange contrasts, unexpected juxtapositions, curious incongruities.
- The girls will screech when she says this, fall about laughing, because for someone so tiny and sweet, the incongruity of these words is hilarious, and she knows it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.