In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Everyone I should have been able to count on, suddenly unreliable and inconstant, gone forever or drifting away.
- But with Kerry the charge isn't that he's inconstant.
- He was an inconstant man, impulsive and greedy.
- And that tells voters (as it probably should) that you're inconstant and unserious.
- In addition, feminist readings have detected in city comedy the salient traits of a dominant early modern discourse that constructs women as naturally incontinent and inconstant.
- Would that you again resemble the inconstant people who knew only effervescence, which we falsely called enthusiasm!
- The individual members of this particular community are by no means all wonderfully multifaceted, but they are at least inconstant, generous and judgmental, visionary and blinkered, capable of extreme kindness and gross inhumanity.
- You either fear his humour or my negligence, that you call in question the continuance of his love: is he inconstant, sir, in his favours?
- Our passions, they concede, make us false, foolish, inconstant, and uncertain.
- They're almost cheerfully callous and casually inconstant.
- Hamlet scorns his mother and denounces women as frail, inconstant, and deceitful.
- Among her pithy observations was the fact that ‘men are vile inconstant toads’; and that ‘civility costs nothing and buys everything’.
- One can be physically promiscuous without being emotionally unfaithful, flighty, or inconstant.
- Early in the story, the narrator establishes that Diane is representative of her sex in being deceptive, manipulative, and inconstant.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.