In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(charge)acusación femeninoto bring an indictment against sb — formular cargos contra algn
- He failed to secure an indictment for public nuisance from the county grand jury and was denied damage awards by two trial juries.
- The appellant was charged on a separate indictment with criminal involvement in the two drug importations in April and May 1996.
- Originally, it was intended that the charge should feature on and be tried at the same time as the indictment for murder.
- They presented the indictment and brought the charges on behalf of the Commonwealth.
- You will remember that the date on the indictment for the commencement of this alleged conspiracy is the date that appears on the rent book.
- Under the agreement, the military is not obliged to turn over personnel accused of crimes until a formal indictment has been made.
- What obstacle would there then have been to the presentation of an indictment for the extradition offence?
(document)acusación femeninothe indictment was read out to the accused — se le leyeron los cargos al acusado
2(criticism)the report contained a damning indictment of his management — el informe censuraba / criticaba duramente su gestión
- the unemployment figures are a harsh indictment of their economic policies — las cifras de desempleo constituyen una elocuente crítica de su política económica
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.