In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(disease)infección femeninoa throat infection — una infección de garganta
- to have an infection — tener una infección
- There are a number of causes of meningitis, including viral and bacterial infections.
- Anaemia, an overactive thyroid gland and infections can also cause heart failure.
- Fungal nail infections can be treated with antifungal nail paints or tablets such as terbinafine.
- The rate of shedding is much lower for infections caused by herpes simplex virus type 1.
- He was also interested in the contribution of viral infections to chronic fatigue syndrome.
- There are immunisations for several of the infections that can cause pneumonia.
- If the virus is cleared with treatment, you are not immune to future infections with hepatitis C.
- Most bacterial infections can be treated with one or a couple of drugs in a matter of days or a week or so.
- Rarely, some children develop secondary infections such as an ear infection or pneumonia.
- These infections can be passed from one person to another during intimate physical contact.
- Do you think the smoking is connected to these chest infections you've had?
- Fungal skin infections are divided into groups depending on what type of organism is involved.
- Most requests were from people whose work or leisure activities put them at potential risk of this infection.
- This is roughly equal to the total number of HIV infections in the world today.
- Possible complications include wound and chest infections and abnormal heart rhythms.
- When they do happen, they are similar to other viral infections such as glandular fever.
- The section above explains what measures you can take to prevent acute middle ear infections and glue ear.
- Eventually, they end up in a coma and are likely to die of secondary infections such as pneumonia.
- The prostate gland is just below the bladder, and infections can pass both ways along the urethra.
- Most chest infections are usually caused by germs such as bacteria or viruses.
2(of wound) infección femenino(of person) contagio masculinothere's a risk of infection — hay cierto riesgo de contagio
- Two patients developed respiratory infection and expired during the hospital stay.
- Vaccination has a role in clusters of meningococcal serogroup C infection.
- The blood supply in this area is much better and the risk of infection therefore much less.
- If your spleen has to be taken out, you may have an increased risk of severe infection.
- The critical issue is that the child is protected for the first five years of life when the risk of persistent infection is high.
- This left both the students and those with whom they came into contact at higher risk of meningococcal infection.
- Patients at risk of infection can be identified and treated and colonisation eradicated.
- When possible, urinary catheters should be avoided to minimise the risk of infection.
- The risk of a fatal outcome for the foetus is highest with infection during the second trimester.
- It can also help to reduce the inflammation and infection associated with acne.
- Contact with cats, kittens, cats' faeces, or cats who hunt for food was not a risk factor for infection.
- There is a risk of infection to a middle ear exposed by barotrauma.
- In children, the major causes of anemia are dietary iron deficiency and infection.
- The use of combination therapy for HIV infection has strikingly reduced transmission rates.
- This causes the skin to blister on contact, which can result in infection, sepsis, and death.
- Haematogenous spread of infection is very common in this age group and in immuno-compromised patients.
- Warming people up before they undergo surgery seems to reduce their risk of wound infection.
- Streptococci readily gained access to the blood stream from this site of infection.
- This patient was treated and did not have any evidence of fungal infection at autopsy.
- This reduction was not accompanied by an increased risk of infection.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.