In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The molecules emit infrared light because they have absorbed ultraviolet radiation from the star or have been heated by the wind from the star.
- The sight does not emit visible or infrared light (except from the eyepiece) that can be detected by the enemy.
- The laser will use infrared light with a wavelength of 1.06 microns, which is thousands of times shorter than radio waves.
- This multi-channel infrared radiometer will measure a wide range of infrared light emitted by the atmosphere at several altitudes.
- It measures the infrared radiation they emit in 167 different wavelengths, providing information about the targets' composition.
- At the heart of the sensor is a liquid-nitrogen-cooled laser diode, which generates infrared light at the same wavelength as a molecular transition in ethane.
- This dominates their infrared spectra, where wavelengths beyond 0.75 m are efficiently reflected away.
- ‘Each mineral has sort of a fingerprint in the visible to near infrared spectrum,’ explained Johnson.
- It isn't hot enough to radiate UV rays but it does radiate in the visible and infrared parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- Combining the data sets produced a single spectrum spanning visible and infrared wavelengths.
- Sunlight contains a range of electromagnetic radiation, mostly infrared and visible, but it is the UV radiation that is important from a biological point of view.
- Viewing the visible and infrared light emitted by galaxies is crucial for determining their mass.
- The materials and the thickness of the layer determine how much infrared radiation and visible light pass through the window.
- To cool a room, use fluorescent lights that don't emit infrared rays rather than using incandescent lights.
- They zapped the clusters with infrared light and microwaves to make the molecules vibrate and spin.
- Terahertz light is a little-studied realm of the electromagnetic spectrum between microwave and infrared light.
- The photocathode in the night scope that converts visible light into electrons is sensitive to both visible light and some infrared radiation.
- On the other hand, even tenuous cirrus clouds absorb significant amounts of thermal infrared radiation emitted by the ground and the lower atmosphere.
- Tinted and mirrored films reduce the quantity of both visible light and infrared radiation entering the occupied space.
- Stars like our Sun emit primarily in the visible region, and cooler objects like planets emit invisible infrared radiation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.