In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His condition was initially described as serious, but he was allowed to go home on Monday.
- Any such problems should have been ironed out initially and not when the job is nearly complete.
- He initially told police he had bought the victim's goods from a homeless person.
- The book didn't have as much of a lasting impression on me as I had initially hoped, sadly.
- Detectives initially drew a blank as no one of that name was registered missing.
- She had initially banned the event because of concern it would damage the grass.
- Moments of panic followed later that night when it initially appeared the ink would not come off.
- As much as they were scared initially they were also inspired by the strength they witnessed.
- Both skills were initially learned so that he could earn money and continue painting.
- Those who initially dismissed the whole thing as a fad are now buying the books to see what the fuss is about.
- He arrived at the building to see what he initially thought was falling debris.
- The White House had initially planned to announce the new agency this coming autumn.
- The provision was initially put in place to protect trade in neighbouring towns.
- The crowd had initially seemed peaceful when it gathered to protest about a lack of jobs in the town.
- We thought initially that it would be best for him to leave but he wanted to stay here.
- The presentation had initially been planned to announce the results of the report.
- This lack of any Conservative alternative to the council tax initially puzzled me.
- The teenager had wanted a home birth but her partner had initially been worried.
- The groups had initially considered paying increased rent to cover the shortfall.
- I think I found it hard to like the album initially precisely because it's so varied.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.