In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(question)we made inquiries about / into his past — hicimos averiguaciones / indagaciones sobre su pasado
- they made inquiries about prices — pidieron / solicitaron información sobre precios
- all inquiries to … — para cualquier información dirigirse a …
- (up)on inquiry we were told that … — al preguntar / al solicitar información se nos dijo que …
- inquiry office — oficina de información
- But we have to be careful how we embark on our post-incident inquiries and analysis.
- Efforts to trace him have so far failed despite an appeal and continued inquiries by detectives at taxi firms around the town.
- Their inclusion is still to be tested at a public inquiry into the plan.
- Officers conducted door-to-door inquiries while forensic experts examined the inside of the house for clues.
- Detectives said house-to-house inquiries and searches by trained officers were likely to continue over the next few days.
- Thank you for your inquiry relating to the position of the arm as the bowler releases the ball.
- It was essential that the plan underwent the scrutiny of a public inquiry, he said.
- Our inquiry is inquisitorial, it is not adversarial in conduct or indeed character.
- Today the detective leading the inquiry made a fresh appeal for witnesses to come forward.
- I met him last year, and he impressed me as a cop who had quickly grasped that racing inquiries needed forensic detection skills.
- However, this written evidence was not tested at the inquiry and so carries less weight.
- A public inquiry and judicial review is awaited and a housing market crash looms ever closer.
- Detectives launched an inquiry after the woman's body was found just after midnight on Saturday.
- Many of the detectives who made inquiries in the early days of the investigation have been re-interviewed.
- Detectives launched a murder inquiry and carried out house-to-house inquiries.
- If the inquiry needs tests, whether scientific or otherwise, so much the better.
- At the height of the investigation more than 80 detectives were involved in inquiries.
- The man, who has not been named, was released on police bail pending further inquiries and forensic tests.
- The original bed has been taken away for examination and our inquiries are continuing.
- The public inquiry held in January examined two applications for the development.
2(investigation)investigación femeninocommittee of inquiry — comisión investigadora femenino
- to hold an inquiry — llevar a cabo una investigación
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.