In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(on plane, ship, in office)interfono masculinointercomunicador masculino
- It helps to have more than one communication system like intercoms, telephones and radios, according to Layne.
- In the observation room, visitors can view the surgery on monitors and communicate with the surgical team through intercoms.
- The two of you communicate over an intercom, with the experimenter standing next to you.
- ‘Attention shoppers, the mall is now closing, the mall is now closing’ an announcing voice said from the intercoms.
- The voice of John's secretary came over the telephone intercom and he retreated behind his desk to take care of it.
- Could it be time to install two-way intercoms in all carriages, so that we can offer a cheery hello to the driver whenever we set foot on a train?
- A moment later, the intercom chirped and a deeply gruff voice spoke from the speaker.
- A tall iron fence surrounds their house and electronic gates with an intercom are the only way in.
- All apartments in Rosehaven come with Gold Shield electric heating, security intercoms and higher than average ceilings.
- Each apartment has feature windows, security intercoms, fitted kitchens which include oven, hob and extractor fan, washer-dryer and fridge-freezer.
- All are double-glazed and have security intercoms.
- The Captain was just beginning to grow angry, when she remembered that all of the intercoms in both hangars frequently shorted out, due to the heavy fumes and chemicals present.
- Some systems allow you to use another handset as the intercom instead of the base station.
- After the initial jolt, there was silence over the intercoms.
- Tests were run over telephones and intercoms to determine optimum degrees of loudness for giving instructions and commands.
- Simple communicators, baby-minders, intercoms, and toys can often be on the same frequencies.
- Two pedestrian access gates are electronically controlled by intercoms in each apartment.
- The Blue Hawk leader nodded solemnly and passed her the speaker for the intercom.
- Security is tight, with intercoms at entrances, high, enclosed fencing, and only stipulated adults are allowed to fetch children.
- I think we should have intercoms between the cars.
2EEUU(at building entrance)portero eléctrico masculinoportero automático masculino Españainterfón masculino Méxicointercomunicador masculino Venezuela
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.