In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It offers an interlinear translation (primarily for studying the traditional Latin Mass) which follows the word ordering of the Latin text of the traditional Roman Mass.
- We give the Greek text, with an interlinear translation as literal as may be to be useful.
- But I'll be really surprised and impressed when there's a popular syndicated cartoon whose captions are given as interlinear text.
- A special typographical challenge that linguists face is the formatting of our beloved example sentences with interlinear glossing.
- One of the things we're going to do is more marking up of the various electronic documents we post - highlighting key passages, interlinear notes, stuff like that.
- The text, with its interlinear drawings and decorated initials composed of human and animal figures, has become emblematic of Ireland and Irishness.
- I don't like making interlinear comments like this.
- The beginning of a paragraph is usually indented in print, unless preceded by an interlinear space, but not always in handwriting or word processing, nor in display material.
- When the critique is presented as a copy of the original document with interlinear commentary, it's called a fisking.
- For example, there are interlinear translations into Turkish, Spanish, and Polish - all written in Arabic script.
- Each includes the Iban text version, with interlinear glosses, and English translations, supplemented by occasional passages contextualizing the songs.
- Micro-typography deals with letters, the relationship between letter spacing and words, word spacing, lines, interlinear spacing, columns, punctuation, and so forth.
- Artscroll's website offers a free download of these psalms plus one more, with interlinear English translation, to facilitate their widespread recitation.
- For instance, in New Testament research it offers the possibility of transforming the Greek text into an interlinear text with grammatical tags, the lexical form of the word, and a word by word English translation all aligned for interlinear analysis, followed by various translations of the text into English or other languages.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.