In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nombrePlural intermezzos, Plural intermezzi
- The middle movements, intermezzos both, are characterised by mellow string and woodwind playing.
- The intermezzo from his frivolous opera Hary Janos is considered one of his most entertaining scores.
- After about 1750 the intermezzo evolved further into opera buffa.
- It's funny, having known the chorus and the intermezzo well for years, I realised I only properly listened to the whole opera in order to write this blog entry.
- It is worth remembering that intermezzos were never really supposed to contain the musical highlights of an evening.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.