In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Technologies based on resources drawn from all over the Solar System will make interstellar trips affordable.
- They may not exit the comet clouds and into proper interstellar space for up to another 40,000 years after that.
- On the other hand, there are ways to reach other civilizations without interstellar travel.
- Instead, they could be interstellar rovers captured by the Sun's gravity.
- More dark clouds of interstellar dust with intriguing shapes are seen silhouetted against the glowing interstellar gas at the top right.
- He added that interstellar travel - between solar systems - was far less likely.
- Its tails allows us to probe the physics of the interaction between an isolated neutron star and the interstellar medium.
- The Sun and most of the Solar System are bathed in a huge cloud of interstellar hydrogen.
- The greatest challenge of interstellar travel is the enormous distances between stars.
- Astronomers want to know how much of the dust in the Solar System is shed by comets and asteroids, and how much comes directly from interstellar space.
- Very few species had achieved interstellar travel at this time in the Galaxy.
- The Earth sits in a stream of accelerated particles coming in from the Sun, interstellar material, and galactic sources.
- Most will crash into the Sun, strike another planet, or be flung by Jupiter's gravity into interstellar space.
- When we've colonized space and mastered interstellar travel, can there even be sci-fi anymore?
- We just had to plan for interstellar travel if we were ever to encounter really interesting planets with intelligent beings.
- Come on, did you suspect that the smell of rotten eggs might one day lead to practical interstellar space travel?
- Some scientists tend to scoff at the idea of interstellar travel because of the enormous distances that separate the stars.
- Orion is home to the famous Orion nebula, a glowing cloud of interstellar gas where new stars are being born.
- This propulsion concept could be used as the engine for an interstellar probe.
- The solar system formed 4.6 billion years ago from an interstellar cloud of gas and dust.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.