Filosofía Lingüística Matemáticas
- The combination of verbs with intransitive prepositions is one of the many pseudopods of morphological quasi-regularity that extend into the phrasal domain in English.
- Moral actions are unlike other actions in that they have both transitive and intransitive effects.
- The real challenges always came with the sophisticated adjectives, the adverbs, and the intransitive verbs.
- But if you read it closely, you'll see I'm using the intransitive plural subjunctive tense.
- The object of knowledge is intransitive, the knowledge we have of it is transitive.
- And although I did a bit of a double-take, I soon got the idea of what was meant by that stunningly ungrammatical sleeps obedience - with its intransitive verb assigned a direct object in defiance of all syntactic decency.
- Verbs can be either transitive or intransitive a transitive verb governs an object, whereas an intransitive verb does not.
- For me, the intransitive use of ‘bore easily’ is a minor cliché, that is, a phrase I recognize when I see it as a set phrase, even though I might not see it all that often.
- In particular, similar patterns exist for other cases of verbs combining with intransitive prepositions (or ‘particles’, as some people call them).
- In this respect, adjectives are exactly like intransitive verbs.
- It is inconceivable that Will does not know the difference between a transitive and an intransitive verb.
- Later she will learn about transitive and intransitive verbs, but in this exercise she could see that the verb cards weren't all alike.
- An ergative system is one in which the subject of an intransitive verb is treated grammatically like the direct object of a transitive verb, while the subject of a transitive verb is treated differently.
- The becoming is not a becoming something; it remains active and intransitive.
- Further, she suggests that ‘whereas poetic language is now more or less accepted as autonomous and intransitive, fiction and narrative still suggest a transitive and referential use of words’.
- To give an account of these sentences, a proponent of the equational analysis would have to postulate that the verb is ambiguous between a transitive and an intransitive meaning.
- When did it become cooler to be an intransitive verb than a transitive verb?
- A problem confronting this assumption is the large number of intransitive, unergative verbs in German and English that occur in accomplishment expressions.
- We may be confused about this if we do not distinguish, as we clearly should, between transitive and intransitive senses of the verb ‘to move’.
- For the true writer, he had once declared, to write is an intransitive verb: one does not write something, one simply writes.