In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(inquire into, examine)(crime/cause/murder) investigar(character/suspect/background) hacer indagaciones sobre(background/suspect/character) hacer averiguaciones sobre(complaint/claim/possibility) estudiar(complaint/claim/possibility) examinar
- It seems we remain a little coy about investigating one of our most basic drives and motivators.
- The community services committee has set up a panel of six members to investigate the growing problem of dog mess.
- Swindon police confirmed they are investigating the incident, which happened on Wednesday, June 16.
- Young people from London, Great Yarmouth and Wolverhampton will also feature in the one-hour special, which investigates the problems faced by teenagers today.
- Police are investigating the incident but at this stage believe the fire started when a cigarette was dropped onto a lounge suite.
- Police investigated allegations that the incident involved violence.
- A second man has been arrested by police investigating alleged election fraud in Oldham.
- North Yorkshire police were today investigating allegations that a protester was attacked during a Boxing Day hunt in the county.
- The film has been handed to the Bolton Evening News and the police, who are investigating the alleged incident.
- The Home Office also revealed the Police Complaints Authority - which investigates serious incidents and allegations of malpractice - is reviewing the high accident level.
- He was the first of four head teachers to give evidence to the education overview and scrutiny committee, which is investigating the issue.
- In a separate incident, police investigating the death of a newborn baby found in a stream in England said they were still desperate to find his mother.
- Simm plays a human rights researcher investigating the plight of women being trafficked through Europe.
- The Canadian Judicial Council has the power to establish seminars and investigate complaints.
- Over the next eight weeks this new series explores our body and investigates the current issues facing the world of health and medicine.
- Swindon police are investigating the incident that happened on Saturday around 9pm.
- The discovery was made after police investigating an unrelated incident in the area contacted social services staff.
- The number of studies investigating the wealth effects of relocation on valuation of companies is limited.
- Choi said the more he investigated the subject of blood types, the more conflicting information he received.
- In this way researchers have the opportunity to investigate the subject intensively and profoundly.
- Ehrenreich's book investigates the plight of some of the low-wage workers studied by the EPI report.
- The goal of the present study was to investigate the foregoing issues.
- A future study investigating a broader range of psychopathologies is clearly warranted.
- When the police were investigating the incident they discovered safe-breaking equipment in the dormobile.
- Rademacher also wrote important papers on Dedekind sums and investigated many problems relating to algebraic number fields.
- He has also been bailed by police investigating allegations that he falsified documents relating to blood tests ordered by worried parents.
- We investigated these issues in a case-control study of acute leukaemia in England.
- An immediate independent inquiry must be established to investigate Robb's allegations.
- The couple was told the CCTV camera was not working but police say they are investigating the allegation.
- CEOs were called to testify, while a research staff investigated the basic issues involved.
- Although his condition is now stable, Mrs Tonge remains with him at the hospital while doctors investigate the problem.
- It is understood Croydon police are currently investigating the allegations and have spoken to the pupil, believed to be five years old.
- President Thabo Mbeki is expected to receive a formal request today to investigate these allegations.
- Although the incident is not being treated as suspicious, police are investigating events leading up to it to establish where the drink came from.
- Few studies have investigated this subject in relation to Ramadan.
- Future research needs to investigate whether cost effective strategies can be designed that produce similar results.
- Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, investigated the issue.
- Two men were arrested earlier in the election by police investigating allegations of election fraud and of stealing ballot papers.
- By the study of his teachings one learns to investigate ones different mental states which change very rapidly.
2(do research on)hacer una investigación sobreinvestigar
1investigarshe went downstairs to investigate — bajó a ver qué pasaba / a investigar
- the teacher promised to investigate — el profesor aseguró que haría averiguaciones
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.