In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(detailed examination)estudio masculinoupon closer investigation — tras un examen más detenido
- Two other major investigations of Glasgow City Council employees are still to be carried out.
- Until such time as a report on these investigations comes to hand then I will suspend judgement.
- That shortcoming led to the introduction of the Holmes system for major investigations.
- Certainly the legal systems in some countries present obstacles to investigations.
- Until now the unit's investigations have not considered anyone else being involved.
- Meanwhile, the sauna remains closed as investigations continue into how the fire broke out.
- They are also required to help Symantec in investigations into other counterfeiters.
- After all the inquiries and investigations and demonstrations, he's still there.
- It seems that it has become a fashion to prescribe costly high tech investigations.
- These are the questions at the centre of the author's tactful, patient investigations.
- Dean says the theft of her laptop was one of a number of unusual events that took place during her investigations.
- This is followed by a formal report once all investigations have been completed.
- One of the boys concerned has been temporarily excluded pending investigations by the school.
- The building in Sutton will be used for murder investigations and is due to open in January next year.
- An army spokesman would not comment, saying investigations were still going on.
- All I can indicate is that he is of interest to us and investigations are continuing.
- His investigations have just that effect, and the trawl of weird individuals is phenomenal.
- There is wild talk of inquiries and commissions of investigations in the air.
- It will also enable local schools and community groups to become involved in the investigations.
- Updates will follow if further products emerge from the on-going investigations.
2(official)investigación femeninoher claim is under investigation — se está estudiando su petición
- she is under investigation by the police — la policía está haciendo averiguaciones sobre ella
3(scientific)investigación femeninohe was hospitalized for further investigation — lo hospitalizaron para hacerle más pruebas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.