In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A mobile phone with an iridescent blue cover peeps from the top pocket.
- She was a small, colorfully dressed creature with very long blonde hair and iridescent blue eyeshadow.
- Each arc had an iridescent crystal drop in the center of it, and loops of silver chains falling to her mid back from each.
- The silver hake, in accordance with its name, has a silvery iridescent sheen when freshly caught.
- The skin was covered in small black scales, no longer glittering with the iridescent purple hues that most had.
- It has an iridescent shiny ice pink dial with pink patent leather strap and a changeable sporty gel strap.
- A shimmering iridescent image showing bauhinia flowers appears when the banknote is tilted under a bright light.
- They are often iridescent, giving them a spectacular array of colours.
- It was a long, silvery iridescent gown covered with glittering stars and moons.
- She gazes at her daughter, both faces iridescent with joy.
- An iridescent colour is a colour that changes with the angle of view.
- As she neared the object, she noticed it was an iridescent purple and pink.
- Because many of the iridescent glass wares were sold to fun-fairs it became known as Carnival Glass.
- He then puckered neon light through the mural, creating an iridescent glow.
- Under the crystal bright light of a full moon their blue marble shined, iridescent.
- The beaches are litter-free and the water an iridescent ice-blue.
- Breeding adults have yellow bills, iridescent feathers that shine purple and green and are flecked with white spots.
- An iridescent sheen spread over the surface of the water below him, indicating a fuel leak.
- Adult males have a pink-streaked iridescent throat-patch that can be held erect.
- It seems anything that catches my eye with an iridescent quality, I am uncontrollably drawn to.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.