In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The palm-fringed emerald islets are surrounded by vast expanses of water.
- North Korea has maintained that the islets belong to the Korean people.
- In the distance is a very small islet with a tree on it.
- Besides this, there are several small islands or islets surrounding Corinth: Kechries, Lechaio, Isthmia, Ancient Corinth, and Examilia.
- From the air the tiny islets of Funafuti atoll appear as a broken pearl necklace scattered on the blue throat of the tropical sea.
- Plans to build a house on an uninhabited islet off the south of Sanday were turned down by islands' councillors on Thursday morning.
- They nest on islands in Grays Harbor and on rocky islets along the outer coast.
- Central Stockholm is itself a maze of islands; the Parliament building has an islet of its own.
- A huge oil spill was discovered in the waters surrounding Pramuka and Panggang islets last week.
- The mainland of Mauritius is surrounded by a number of islets, some of which are close to the coast and others far away.
- Buffumville Lake surrounds this white-pine-forested islet, which is equipped only with a picnic table, a fire pit and an outhouse.
- The group of uninhabited islets about 180 km north of Taiwan are claimed by Taiwan, China and Japan.
- An atoll usually consists of a string of closely spaced coral islets separated by narrow channels of water.
- Vicious rocks surrounded the tiny islet, and a beached ship lay on its side in the deep sands, torn by wave and water.
- The ferry carrying more than 500 passengers sank after hitting a rocky islet, killing at least 64 people.
- The most charming of the islets is probably the Fairy Island in the center, which boasts a scenic panorama that voyagers can enjoy from the slow-moving boat.
- Two days later we are building a small driftwood fire on a tiny islet in the Barrier Islands a mile out into the open North Pacific.
- These include the idyllic Cairns of Coll, a string of rocky islets some distance from the island of the same name.
- He said the idea of growing coral around the islets is a new one.
- Singapore, the island city, has 63 islets around it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.