In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Put differently, isotherms are as important as latitudes in determining what constitutes Arctic and Subarctic regions.
- In tropical and subtropical mountains the tree line occurs where the summer isotherms are as low as 3-6°C.
- The average temperature of an underground site reflects the yearly isotherm of the area.
- Humboldt used lines, called isotherms, to delineate regions of equal temperatures.
- The Curie isotherm is a temperature surface in the Earth's subsurface connecting depths at which Curie temperatures are reached.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.