In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So it could happen in London too, since one can be critical of Israeli policy and still support its right to exist.
- Many of the houses I visited were riddled with bullets or had lost their roofs after Israeli attacks.
- That will allow the number of illegal Israeli settlements in occupied territory to be increased.
- I told her to give him my warm regards, since in his book on Israeli sociology he said nice things about my work.
- Ms Inkwell has been in the news lately because of her outspoken support for a boycott of Israeli cricket.
- For those who are yet to get a taste of Israeli cinema, the New Year should be a good time to start.
- In terms of wider Israeli society, however, the end of the Cold War probably had a greater impact.
- The road which bisects the Strip is again controlled by Israeli outposts and settlements.
- I do not condone it and have deep misgivings about how this is affecting Israeli society in general.
- They set up displays about the army and blasted Israeli music out of a loudspeaker.
- Well, I should have remembered that three weeks is an eternity in Israeli politics.
- They are against Israeli policies in occupied areas, which is a different thing.
- They are doing it because they still believe in some sort of Israeli justice.
- Their campaigning was limited to angry letters to the editor, and a boycotting of Israeli goods.
- We spent three hours planning a way to sneak up to the border gates and snatch a piece of Israeli land.
- I sometimes gleefully scoop up Israeli avocados rather than those from other countries.
- Most devastating to the scientists has been the academic boycott of Israeli universities.
- The crushed carapaces of cars run over by tanks are now a trademark of Israeli incursions into the West Bank.
- It is clear that this so-called Israeli soil is, in reality, situated on the West Bank.
- Although these two elements coexist in Israeli society they are often in tension with one another.
- Native born Israelis are called Sabras, named for a cactus fruit gown in the desert.
- He is fighting a religious war, not a political one, which is why he talks about Jews and not Israelis.
- If ever a day illustrated the gulf between Israelis and Palestinians, tomorrow is that day.
- It prevented the Israelis from conquering the largest part of Arab Palestine.
- It would cease the poisonous incitement in textbooks and the media against Israelis and Jews.
- Several years ago there were two episodes between Israelis and Palestinians.
- In Jenin the Israelis lifted the curfew for three hours, and Palestinians went to shop at the market.
- Sure, you may have seen more Israelis and Europeans but what time of the year was it?
- On the other hand there is virtually nothing in the book about Israelis and Palestinians.
- For two years, Frankenthal has been urging Israelis and Palestinians to do what is necessary.
- That might explain the calmness which has so surprised Israelis and Spaniards.
- The future of the Middle East has well and truly been taken out of the hands of Israelis and Palestinians.
- What Sadat and Begin proved in the 70s is that peace is possible between Arabs and Israelis.
- It broke a taboo by being the first Arab channel to feature interviews with Israelis.
- Both the Israelis and Palestinians were used to news crews of a few people.
- Israel says that he was involved in attacks that killed four Israelis and a Greek monk.
- Emma has kept warm memories of her first contacts with Israelis who happened to be Arabs.
- National identity for Israelis is to a large extent bound up with their identity as Jews.
- Yet the victory was also hailed as a bridge between Arab and Jewish Israelis.
- As with the Israelis, the Palestinians also have the right to live in a sovereign state.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.