In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Hebrew Bible written by the ancient Israelites, was adopted by the Early Christians.
- Elijah told the Israelites that Yahweh would bring drought to the land if they continued worshipping Baal.
- The book of Leviticus contains a number of food laws that the ancient Israelites were to obey.
- The Lord instituted Passover at the time of the Israelites ' exodus out of Egypt.
- Israel's sacred books provide the prevailing cultural intertext for Israelites in the period.
- In what part of Egypt did the Israelites dwell before the Exodus?
- Not only did Pharoah refuse to let the enslaved Israelites go, he made life even more difficult for them.
- The Torah recounts how in the second year after the Exodus, the Israelites arrived at the borders of the Promised Land.
- For centuries, the Israelites believed that their faith in God rested in the land, the king and the temple.
- It was once thought that the ancient Israelites must have been predominantly left-handed because Hebrew is written from right to left.
- The Temple of the ancient Israelites is the original Hebrew expression of pagan consciousness.
- One way in which to analyze biblical narrative is by examining the ways in which the ancient Israelites perceived and used space.
- Joshua and the Israelites had made an impressive beginning of their conquest of Canaan.
- Why were the prayers, sacrifices and observances of these ancient Israelites not pleasing to God?
- The Sabbath, which totally set apart the Israelites from the nations around them, also entailed responsibility.
- The end came when the Israelites were battling the Philistines at Aphek.
- I begin to see why the Israelites wandered for 40 years after refusing to take the Promised Land.
- So the Egyptians made slaves of the Israelites (also called Hebrews).
- Unlike their exodus over four centuries later, the Israelites ' entry into Egypt was under very favorable circumstances.
- Ezekiel runs into the Israelites ' expectation that God is, and always will be, a God of retribution.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.