In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Greek Revival and Italianate mansions line the broad streets of this stately, historic neighborhood.
- As its fresco-like nature suggests, much of the finished painting appears Italianate in conception.
- It's quite Italianate and we hope very beautiful.
- Their interpretations ooze with the music's Italianate nature, and the elegance and grace they convey is exceptional.
- He got it: the local architect Andrews and Pepper gave him a graceful Italianate complex on a 27-acre site, with 16 acres of working floors inside.
- Unfortunately, Guleghina can't muster their Italianate style, and her portrayal has less character than those mentioned above.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.