In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I ducked down in onto my hands and knees, and right before my eyes, I saw the jackknife that Todd was carrying discarded on the ground, it was tremendously shiny, and glittered in the company of a red handle.
- Adam had chosen a jackknife rather than a fixed blade.
- Pen clips, protractors, and jackknives have left hacked shapes to tell people how dull it all was when they sat here.
- The shorter girl snarled her frustration and lunged after him with her jackknife, tearing a horizontal gash in his right pant leg.
- With a jackknife, he whittled a point on a thin green stick pulled from a maple branch.
2salto de carpa masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.