In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Eight weeks after starting she developed nausea and weakness quickly followed by yellow jaundice and evidence of liver involvement.
- Babies with jaundice have a yellow color to the skin and eyes.
- If untreated, jaundice can lead to infection and abscesses in the liver, which can be fatal.
- In prehepatic jaundice, excess unconjugated bilirubin is produced faster than the liver is able to conjugate it for excretion.
- Premature babies have especially immature livers, making jaundice more likely.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.