In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The order did not purport to proscribe attacks on Jewish homes or on synagogues.
- Mike was from a Jewish background and lost family members in the Nazi Holocaust.
- British Muslims share with the Jewish community their sense of pain and anguish.
- The problem comes when people equate the Israeli policy with the Jewish community.
- From the point of view of Jewish law, a wedding consists of two distinct procedures.
- Why do the armed men sent by the Jewish high priests take Jesus into custody at night?
- What matters is that the area is completely enclosed by boundaries that conform to Jewish law.
- No one can ever criticise the Jewish diaspora for asserting Israel's right to exist.
- They had not had to grapple to any significant extent with Jewish dietary laws.
- We were in a group of pre-war members of the Jewish community who had been forced to flee.
- His family was prominent in the Jewish diaspora and in the service of Rome in the east.
- Their poor recent immigrant status was at least as important as their being Jewish.
- Many Jews have told me that being a Jew is not about believing in the Jewish religion.
- Then Jesus faces the physical abuse and mockery of the Jewish crowds and Sanhedrin.
- The destruction of Jewish holy places by Arab mobs has recurred time and again.
- Meanwhile, an appeal is being made to councillors by members of the Jewish community.
- He concentrates on the treatment and experiences of Jewish immigrants in Britain.
- In any case, the issue was the degree of association between Gentile and Jewish members.
- This outraged many in the Jewish community who regarded the posters as a religious insult.
- He was expelled from the Jewish community on account of his criticism of the Scriptures.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.