In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the silver/golden jubilee — el vigésimo quinto / veinticinco / quincuagésimo / cincuenta aniversario
- At the time of her second jubilee, Victoria's name and features were recognisable all over the world; when she died in 1901, few could remember a time when she had not reigned.
- The aim was to ensure favourable press coverage of the jubilee.
- If you have nothing planned to celebrate the jubilee try to go along for a great day out.
- A Department of Culture, Media and Sport spokeswoman said the Queen had expressed the wish that taxpayers' money should not be used to celebrate her jubilee.
- Paddy and Mary celebrated their golden wedding jubilee last May.
- Mary Teresa and John have a family of seven and they will celebrate their golden wedding jubilee in October.
- They celebrated their golden wedding jubilee back in 1995.
- We've had firework displays, organised Easter egg hunts and celebrated Royal jubilees on the green.
- The jubilee celebrations were conducted with a number of activities, including seminars, workshops, competitions for children, and cultural gatherings.
- The shot of 500 palace workers was taken to mark the jubilee.
- Some members will recall a speech made by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on her 50th jubilee.
- To celebrate the jubilee the County Carlow Association London has decided to record the history of their association.
- Clubs have a habit of recording their histories, usually to celebrate jubilees or centenaries, though sometimes to mourn mergers or closures.
- Skipton's Hard of Hearing Club celebrated its 25th anniversary with a jubilee party in the Christ Church Parochial Hall.
- It has been celebrating its jubilee cheerfully throughout much of this year, with the festivities building up to a crescendo on the actual birthday, October 18.
- The Academy has drawn up plans to celebrate the Silver jubilee in a fitting manner and the conferring of achievement awards are a step in this direction.
- This week Parliament celebrated the 150th jubilee of its existence, and this is a good time to reflect on the past and look forward to the future.
- Eileen and Paddy King celebrated their golden wedding jubilee in Scunthorpe, England yesterday, Monday.
- Civil authorities in Rome tremble at the expected hordes coming to celebrate the jubilee while Israel also braces for huge numbers of pilgrims.
- About 40,000 of the commemorative coins were supposed to be ready for collectors by the end of January before the jubilee anniversary on February 6.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.