In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1EEUU(dress)jumper femenino América Latinapichi masculino España
- She wore a tattered denim jumper and a white shirt that matched the spotted peeling wallpaper, and she knew nothing of wealth.
- She dressed in a simple denim jumper and a new straw cowboy hat with red cowboy boots.
- The plump and harried mother, dressed in a denim jumper, drives a battered Econo-Van with numerous dents.
- He combed her chestnut hair - Paula's natural color - and dressed her in a yellow cotton jumper.
- I am in a red jumper, white blouse and tights and black Mary Janes with a small scuff on the left toe.
1(horse)caballo de saltos masculino
- One thing is that, against Australia, their lineout jumpers will be much heavier than the Japanese.
- Is the flea the greatest jumper in the animal world, or a skittering frog one of the hot contenders for the swimming title?
- We got suited up, had some instructions from our jumpers, and headed out to the two propeller plane that takes everyone up.
- This horse was unlucky not to win a bumper but he loves this fast ground and he has always been a good jumper.
- Poggio is a better jumper, but his dressage is not as good.
- Many years ago there lived in a certain village a wealthy farmer who had the best of land and some great race horses and jumpers.
- Newberry finally succumbed to another big hit, Alex Mason replacing him and leaving BJ Fowler as the line-out jumper.
- He tells us that the horse is a natural jumper.
- We now love jumping and he's an amazing jumper, galloping and hacking.
- He has never been a flashy horse or a spectacular jumper but he is efficient and extremely powerful, which is what will be required tomorrow.
- The jumpers ' lines became dangerously tangled, anchoring the men back-to-back.
- The players who surround the jumpers also play a key role in who wins possession.
- But what does it say about a league where players who have not had enough years to develop the basic skill of a jumper are playing key roles in The Finals?
- Military qualified jumpers holding military free-fall qualifications are also eligible to compete.
- Accordingly these two jumpers would be the latest addition to the Olympic athletic pool mostly consisting of runners.
- At 10,000 feet, only the colorful fabric of their chutes keep jumpers visible against the panoramic landscape.
- Victory in that Grade One contest meant his beloved horse became the first jumper in Britain and Ireland to win more than £1m in prize money.
- Though it looks like they aren't moving very fast, the jumpers head toward the earth at almost 22 feet per second.
- Advanced jumpers use thin, aerodynamic ropes for fast rotation.
- Much like jumpers and racehorses, farriers pay a price for doing what they love.
2coloquial(athlete)saltador masculinosaltadora femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.