In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pasar por la quilla
- He might surface, gasp for air and taunting by his pirate comrades and then be keelhauled back underwater.
- Flogging, branding, keelhauling, locking sailors in chains, walking the plank, and hanging were used in this era.
- Once they were out at sea, Grapple was keelhauled every night for a fortnight.
- The head and body of the keelhauled will constantly smash against the keel.
- Then, his blue eyes narrowed a bit, ‘And if I hear any rumors to the contrary, I'll keelhaul you and anyone else that has any part of it!!’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.