In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Deportepateador masculinopateadora femenino
- They rolled him onto his back and I realized that it was Tom Jackson, the kicker for the football team.
- This will eliminate unapproved high kicking tees that kickers have used to give their forwards a high hanging ball.
- He tells his players there are no kickers on his team - no specialists.
- Slipping on a kick is a kicker's nightmare because once you slip there's nothing you can do.
- Archibald found himself lining up the kick as normal kicker Noble had lost a contact lens in the build-up to the score.
- The team is replacing its kicker, punter and top returner.
- He started out as a defender, moved to midfield and remained there in high school - where he was also the kicker for the football team.
- Add it all up, and that's barely an hour a day meeting and practicing with special teams players other than the kicker and punter.
- Don't be surprised if the team signs a premier kicker and/or punter.
- But he didn't panic and his third effort, from a very tight angle for a left-footed kicker, flew between the posts.
- Naturally left-footed, Southwell has now become one of the main kickers, for club and country, in defence and attack.
- These kickers can kick long fields goals, play with good offenses and do not miss many kicks.
- On the other side Kilkenny's kickers had the kind of day any kicker dreads.
- The Titans line up to kick off once again, but this time their kicker isn't wearing a jersey because he thinks it was bad luck last time around.
- Like all kickers, you have good days and bad days, and I have no hesitation in saying Saturday was obviously a good day, and I enjoyed it.
- The quarterback specializes in throwing, wide receivers catch, running backs run, lineman block and kickers kick, but none of them are experts in all areas.
- I was a punter, the kicker, I kicked the extra points.
- Some people don't even consider kickers football players because so few take or deliver hits.
- Joe was the kicker for our football team and had a very skinny frame.
- And while neither side managed to cross the line for a try both had excellent kickers.
2.1US informal (surprise)the news was a real kicker — la noticia nos dejó helados (or me dejó helado etc.)
- And there's a kicker at the end, as cleverly foreshadowed by this link…
- This brings us to the economic kicker: surely, as the capabilities of the drone increase, so will its cost.
- Now here's the kicker: the social exchange version of the problem doesn't just activate this left-brain network.
- But here's the real kicker - the diseased prions took much longer to transform the artificial prions into diseased prions.
- Then came the kicker: ‘I got kicked out of my own apartment,’ he recalls.
- Here's the kicker: she moved to Hollywood, changed her name, and became Ann Sothern.
- But here's the kicker, we market it straight at kids.
- But here's the kicker: Qualitative change in adulthood isn't inevitable.
- But here's the kicker: this character investment greatly augments the action scenes.
- In any event, the kicker will be what Costello is waiting gleefully to exploit: how will they pay for it?
2.2US informal (added inducement)the kicker was the low price they were asking — lo que nos atraía era lo poco que pedían
2.3US informal (catch, drawback)trampa femeninoproblema masculinopega femenino España coloquial
- Mount a kicker to your transom without marring up the back of your boat with screw-down clamps.
- There are a couple reasons for wanting to install an auxiliary outboard (or ‘kicker’ engine) on a boat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.